15 March 2013

Lifetime Experience #1

I have done sampling for Biodiversity subject twice already but only now I have some spare time to write about it. My bad. I got immersed with my own emotion sometime -__-


The first sampling session was at swamp, near by Tanjung Lumpur. It was a great first experience ever. Playing with the mud and walking around mangroves area with boots. Coolio! We were asked to work in group and haunted for any species that we can find there. Our group managed to find 21 organisms but some of them are from same species. We collected snails, crabs, mangroves leaves, fruits and flowers. Some of other groups managed to find horseshoe fish! After collected the samples, we headed to our laboratory to clean up the organisms and preserved them with ethanol. A week later, we need to submit a report and identify the taxonomy of each organisms. Even if it gave me headache to identify which is which, but when you can finally find the 'name' of that species, all your hard work finally paid!


Me and my team :)
image from Hanis 
Look at our boots! -__________-"
image from Hanis
Identification of species in progress
image from my BlackBerry


Our second sampling session was held last Monday. The location for this sampling supposed to be at Sungai Panching but due to transportation problem, our field trip to Sungai Panching has postponed and we went to Taman Pertanian, Kuantan instead which was located about 1km away from the main gate of our university :)


This time around we were asked to find any insects in that farm. Most of the guys were interested to catch the butterfly with that big net.I was impressed because they were really into it. My group leader has done a very good job! Within 10 minutes, he managed to catch 2 butterlies, 1 bee & 2 moths..


My big achievement on that day was: I managed to catch 1 big grasshopper with bare hand, 1 bee (touch it with bare hand because I never knew that it is dangerous species because it is "lebah tanah"), few medium size grasshoppers and 1 frog. I am not so into it so I asked one of the guy to take it from the net that I was holding.


From both sampling sessions, indeed I am more interested in working with insects. They are beautiful creatures on earth!!


I feel like Patrick in Spongebob Square Pants, hunting for 'jellyfish'..hihi
image from Hanis
image from Hanis
Ladies of my group, Dian,Wawa & Raf
image from Hanis
Have a rest with others under lime tree. What a hot and dry day!
I am holding a jar that contain chloroform to make the insects paralyzed-___-
image from Hanis
Look at our red faces :p
image from Hanis

After sampling,before went back to laboratory, our lovely Prof Jalal Chowdry treat all 53++ of us with a refreshing 'air jambu'
Prof Jalal,the one who wear cap with long sleeve shirt.
image from my BlackBerry
Be good dear pretty butterfly!
Let her free since we already have caught the same species too,
image from my BlackBerry


Prof Jalal said "You give something to me (the hardwork during sampling), I give something to you too (treat us EVERY sampling session so far). May Allah bless you Prof Jalal. I am so happy to be one of his students. He is simply good and funny sometime!


I am so looking forward for our next sampling session which will be held at Sungai Panching(Kuantan), Taman Negara Endau Rompin, and Tasik Chini..

No comments: